Welcome to the blog of the High Standard Collectors' Association. Feel free to browse around and enjoy! If you have a question about one of our posts, or have something to add, please leave a comment by clicking on COMMENTS or COMMENT just below the post. We'd love to hear from you!

Monday, November 9, 2015

Do It Yourself Magazine 'Lipper'


The question came up in the HS Forum regarding magazine lip bending tools. I make my own at a cost of approximately 25 cents each, depending on the cost of a worn out screwdriver at a garage sale!

I wrote up a full article with pictures at my gun blog Mr. Completely. If you are interested, go have a look!

Happy Lipping!

4 comments:

  1. That is a good use for an old screwdriver. I use an abrasive wheel with a Dremel tool to cut the slot to about 0.030 inch on the tools I make. That makes the fit of the slot pretty close to the nominal 0.028 inch thickness of the feed lips on CT magazines.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the screwdriver idea. I made one out of keystock and a hacksaw, but it is so small I keep loosing it when I need it. The screwdriver will be harder to loose. Jim Barta had good information. You can check it out at http://www.histandard.info/Jim_Barta/

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are right, Wayne, the Dremel abrasive wheel does cut a nicer slot than using a hacksaw. It does take a bit steadier hand, though, compared to a hacksaw!

    ReplyDelete
  4. In many cases, the best protection for items in packaging boxes is achieved through a combination of materials. A glass vase may be wrapped in tissue paper, covered in bubble wrap, then placed in a box filled with loose fill chips. A small appliance may be wrapped in polythene foam and packed in a box lined with polystyrene sheets. Most businesses that sell packing materials are happy to help mail order companies find the best total packaging solution for any product.

    Durable Abrasive Materials

    ReplyDelete