Welcome to the blog of the High Standard Collectors' Association. Feel free to browse around and enjoy! If you have a question about one of our posts, or have something to add, please leave a comment by clicking on COMMENTS or COMMENT just below the post. We'd love to hear from you!

Monday, January 11, 2016

J C Higgins Model 88

Link to our Blog Master's Model 88 Blog

The Model 88 is a version of the Aluminum Frame High Standard Sentinel.

I was getting ready to sell my Higgins Model 88 and while cleaning it up, I noticed what I thought was powder build up on the cylinder and the cylinder housing on the aluminum frame.  I tried cleaning it up in my parts washer and the kerosene I use wasn't cutting it.  The only way I could get to come off was to scrape it.  When I scraped it on the inside of the housing, it flaked off almost like paint.  I did a web search and saw some 88s with a dull finish on the frame.  Mine is dull in some places and shiny in other places.

Does anyone know if High Standard painted or clear coated the frames?  Also, what is a good solvent to cut the powder without taking off the finish?


 
 
 


6 comments:

  1. Tom, SLIP 2000 carbon killer bore solvent may remove the carbon fouling on your frame. This solvent is used for cleaning AR-15s and other guns that get a lot of carbon buildup. Amazon sells it.

    I am pretty sure the frames were anodized and dyed black.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would recommend testing the SLIP 2000 Carbon Killer on something anodized and expendable first. I talked to the SLIP 2000 guys about it a while back, and they suggested testing first, as it might affect anodizing. I still like Hoppe's as a solvent too, and I like the smell!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks guys. I have some Hoppe's and will try it first. I will get some SLIP 2000 Carbon Killer and try it if Hoppe's doesn't work.

    By the looks of the pictures I saw on the web, my gun isn't the only gun that had lost its finish.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hoppe's didn't work. Will see if I can find some Slip 2000 Carbon Killer locally. Interesting use of Tom Bolander's index of the old newsletters. For those of us that can't remember anything, I used a word search for Sentinels and cleaners and ran across an article in newsletter #13 that talked about Gun Scrubber taking off the paint like finish on the aluminum frame Sentinels. What a wealth of information the old newsletters are.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great to find this blog. Have an old Victor that is my only target gun.

    BUT I have a question for the experts - I'm looking at an old 4.5" barrel to buy but it has a roll stamp "High Standard Inc." and "E. Hartford" instead of East. After searching the web for days I have only found ONE other example and it was a 4.5" barrel too. Have you ever seen this different stamping? The one in this blog right above is the only one other than the barrel I'm looking to buy.
    Thanks for any info
    Jeff Saginaw

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great to find this blog. Have an old Victor that is my only target gun.

    BUT I have a question for the experts - I'm looking at an old 4.5" barrel to buy but it has a roll stamp "High Standard Inc." and "E. Hartford" instead of East. After searching the web for days I have only found ONE other example and it was a 4.5" barrel too. Have you ever seen this different stamping? The one in this blog right above is the only one other than the barrel I'm looking to buy.
    Thanks for any info
    Jeff Saginaw

    ReplyDelete